02 Oct, 2010
Meaty Mushroom-Pecan Salsa, Dip, or Filling for Sandwich or Wrap
Heavens to Betsy, did I enjoy this! For those of my readers who, like me, find salvation in savory, meaty-tasting raw/living food dishes, add this one to your list! Like this other meaty, super-satisfying mushroom recipe, which was life-changing for me and for a few others who were greatly helped by its steak-like flavor, this Mushroom-Pecan “Salsa” has got some kick-butt, rib-sticking flavor.
And as great as it is the day you make it, it’s even better the next day! How many raw food recipes can you say that about? I can’t tell you how much I appreciate being able to hit lunchtime the next day and to open the fridge and there was a great meal just waiting for me, which I enjoyed with organic tortilla chips and a side salad.
It’s made with raw almond butter and cold-pressed olive oil, can be made with any kind of mushroom (though it was just awesome with simple organic white buttons), and with the raw pecans, has nice crunch and real “chew”. The taste is mellow, soothing, savory, delicious as a dip for raw chips or organic tortilla chips, and would be a great quick “rawish” feast with toasted Ezekiel bread. And could make for a sensational “raw burger” in a lettuce wrap for hard-core raw foodies.
I included some serrano chiles, and the dish allows the flavor of the chile to come to the forefront, so you can play with that using your favorite peppers. Use sweet peppers, jalapenos, chipotles… whatever you have on hand.
This batch went quickly because I wasn’t the only one dipping into it… my nearly-70 mom loved it.
Recipe for: Mushroom-Pecan Salsa, Dip, or Filling for Sandwich or Wrap
- 8 oz. finely chopped mushrooms (use your favorite, or just simple organic buttons)
- 1 cup raw pecans, chopped into small bits
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped green onion (about two small)
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped, about 2 tablespoons (or another variety of pepper)
- 3 tablespoons raw almond butter
- 1 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 teaspoon raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (about 1/2 heaping teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon quality natural salt, such as Himalayan Crystal salt
- generous grindings fresh black pepper
Add the green onion, chiles, almond butter, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large bowl, and stir well until combined. Then add the mushrooms and pecans and fold until well-coated.
Serve right away, or cover and store in the fridge until you need it. It does very well overnight — it does not throw off much water, and does not need to be resalted the next day. The flavor improves overnight… but is also great straightaway!
I LOVE this recipe… and hope you do to!