28 Feb, 2010
Savory Kale-Pineapple Salad With Ginger-Garlic-Orange Macadamia Dressing
If you’re a lover of savory fruit salads, here’s a good one, sweet with juicy pineapple, chewy with finely chopped kale, and pungent with both garlic and fresh ginger. A bit of fresh orange juice… and raw macadamia nuts to make a dense, almost mayonnaise-texture dressing… and this becomes an extremely versatile dish.
You can eat this straight, as a salad. You can use this as a salad sandwich filling. It makes a wonderful salsa-like dip for raw crackers or organic tortilla chips. And would be a colorful and unique side dish for a buffet or raw pot luck!
Not the best salad to munch before going out dancing, though.
Recipe for: Savory Kale-Pineapple Salad With Ginger-Garlic-Orange Macadamia Dressing
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2″-1″ piece of fresh ginger root, peeled
- juice from 2 small oranges, or one large one
- 1 teaspoon cold-pressed olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon quality natural salt, such as Himalayan Crystal salt
Blend everything until well-combine in either a small food processor or your blender. You may find it hard to blend in a low-powered blender because it is not very liquid. However, in that case if you add a small amount of water, the blender may be able to “grab” it better. In my Blendtec, I use the XL Smoothie setting and let it run the entire 40 seconds.
Spoon/scrape out of the blender or food processor and onto the salad ingredients. Toss well to mix, as the the dressing is quite thick.
- 2 cups washed kale leaves (no stem) (I tear into pieces to measure, so that they are not too loosely packed)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon red onion (optional if you don’t like, or you can reduce)
Finely chop the kale and mix in a salad bowl with the remaining ingredients.