28 Dec, 2009
The Best Vanilla Raw Smoothie Ever… Maybe The Best Vanilla *Shake* Ever!
This recipe is definitely a Christmas gift to me from my generous culinary muses, who know very well that I’m an unrepentant vanilla whore ever in pursuit of raw vegan recipes that can showcase vanilla the delicious way that milk can. If I were in biblical times, I’d go sacrifice a goat or something in gratitude. Things being as they are, however… I’ll just drink another glassful with thanks. The smile on my face says it all.
Am so glad I found the last bit of Tahitian vanilla I’d given my mother on a previous visit, lurking patiently in the back of her spice cabinet for this very day.
Creamy, light, refreshing, with a neutral-tasting backdrop that allows the vanilla to shine without competition, this shake/raw smoothie recipe is one to memorize and show off to your non-raw friends. Frequently.
*slurp*… I am in awe.
Recipe for: The Best Vanilla Raw Smoothie Ever…
Maybe The Best Vanilla *Shake* Ever!
(One note: This recipe is sweet, like a bonafide milkshake. If you want it less so, try just 1/4 cup of the agave. But… even though I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, I think it’s perfect with the measurements below.)
- 1 ripe avocado (I used 1/2 of one of the gigantic avocados typical down here in Florida, where I am visiting)
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup agave nectar (you can use raw honey as well, but the agave has a more neutral flavor)
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed coconut oil (must be a high-quality coconut oil, here… with a delicate flavor)
- 1 teaspoon quality vanilla extract (I used organic Tahitian vanilla)
- dash quality natural salt, such as Himalayan Crystal salt
- 2 cups spring water
- 2 cups ice
Blend & drink. Vanilla Nirvana… [/private]