09 Sep, 2009
Spinach-Tomato Almond-Walnut Dip & Sandwich Spread: Totally Yummy, No-Soak, No-Sprouting, No-Cashew, No-Sesame Raw-Vegan “Hummus” Recipe
Unlike many recipes for savory or “cheesy” raw vegan dips and spreads, this recipe has no cashews. And unlike most hummus recipes, it has no sesame seeds, and no sprouting or soaking of nuts is required at all.
All you need here are some almonds, walnuts, raw spinach and tomatoes, and a few other goodies, and within minutes you’ve got a versatile dip, sandwich spread, canapé topping, or even raw pasta sauce…without any fanfare or exotic ingredients. And it’s loaded with fresh live greens to boot!
Make a Delicious, Hearty Salad Sandwich!
This was my lunch, and I’m tellin’ you…it was not only delicious, but just one raw-ish sandwich made with toasted Cinnamon-Raisin Ezekiel bread was completely filling and satisfying. Messy too, but…what’s a life well-lived without a little mess?
Recipe for: Spinach-Tomato Almond-Walnut Dip & Sandwich Spread
Totally Yummy, No-Soak, No-Sprouting, No-Cashew, No-Sesame Raw-Vegan “Hummus” Recipe
- 1 cup raw almonds (no need to soak)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 cups raw spinach, packed
- 1 heaping cup of fresh tomato pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 small garlic
- 1 heaping tablespoon red onion pieces
- 3 tablespoons spring water
- for garnish: fresh chopped tomato, more olive oil, and some hemp seeds if you have them on hand
Put all non-garnish ingredients into blender (or food processor) and combine until smooth. I used my Blendtec, which gives a smoother end-product. If you don’t have a high-powered blender such as a Blendtec or a Vitamix, your final dish will just have a bit more texture.
- Pour into dish, garnish, and surround with sliced vegetables (in these photos, I have 1 baby yellow zucchini and 1 baby green zucchini, sliced and cut into thick matchsticks.
- Make canapés by mounding the spread onto raw dehydrated crackers or bread squares. Or, make a “rawish” canapé plate by toasting up some Ezekiel bread, cutting each slice into 4 squares, and mounding the spread on that. Garnish with the tomatoes, olive oil, and hemp seeds if you’d like.
- Make a Salad Sandwich, either fully raw with dehydrated crackers or bread, or with sheets of raw nori; or, you can make a rawish sandwich with toasted Ezekiel bread. This spread would be great with either the Sesame flavored Ezekiel bread or the Cinnamon-Raisin (which off-sets the savory flavors beautifully).
- You could also slice up some thin zucchini “noodles”, toss them with olive oil and some quality salt, warm them slightly in the oven, and then toss with this recipe to make a comforting pasta dish. Finish the dish with plenty of fresh tomatoes and olive oil!
Crudités and Dip
I used the tomato and zucchini in my own sammich, but you could add lettuce, red onion, raw salsa, cucumbers…shoot, most anything would work with this spread! Fill that sammich up and tuck in! Hopefully you’ve got a lot of napkins on hand.
Raw Pasta Sauce